Due to the increasing age of the door locks to our individual units, the mechanism could wear out and break. When that happens, you could be locked inside your unit until our building engineer can remove the defective lock and let you out. He would then replace your door lock set with one from our existing, dwindling inventory.
Curry has suggested replacing all unit door locks with what they are calling “ADA compliant” door locks. (I have not found any official ADA regulation that requires individual condo owner door locks to be changed to this device.) These door locks Curry is recommending have a lever that would be easier for a handicapped person to maneuver; however, the deadbolt has to be locked from the OUTSIDE with a key!
Crown Center converted 17 SFP units on the 2nd floor prior to going condo. San Francisco Tower has converted 5 units on the 5th floor to these new locks. Some SFT owners are not happy with the cost or the functionality of having to lock it from the outside.
The new door locks cost around $900 each, including labor. (Our maintenance engineer will not be installing them.) This would cost us between $80,000 and $100,000 for new door locks for the entire building.
If one person required one of these lever-keyed door locks then should all door locks on that floor also be changed to present a uniform appearance? Or can each person have a choice of what kind of door lock they want? Or should we replace ALL door locks? Do you have to lock the deadbolt from the outside? Or can you leave it unlocked?
Please click the SFP Forum link to the right to express your feelings!
And remember, the blog is for owners to discuss issues among themselves, and what you read in the blog has not been OFFICIALLY BLESSED! Only the newsletter contains official information.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have thought that perhaps a keypad type door lock would be easiest. This would eliminate a key and allow for a touch entry.
ReplyDeleteThe lever type handle is usually easier for not only disabled persons, but also when one has packages. In addition, the current doors do slam shut when any window is kept open
(especially a problem in summer) and the slick knob is tough to open In conclusion, I am in favor of a better system but locking the deadbolt from the outside will prove to be a problem.
I live on the 2nd floor of SFP and have only had one instance were I was locked out of my apartment soon after they were installed. I was probably a little careless exiting one early morning. I was able to duplicate my accident and have never had the problem again. I personally like the option of locking with a key. Never a chance of finding yourself locked out of your home. I find the lever helpful when carrying a load and no free hand.
ReplyDeleteI made some statements on this subject on the forum page but have been thinking and I feel that $900.00 is a ridiculous amount to spend anytime for a door lock, knob and handle. It is especially inappropriate to consider spending this amount of money in this economy. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
ReplyDeleteI live on the second floor and have the newer type lock that requires a key when exiting. I like it in that it prevents me from accidently closing the door and locking myself out. However, $900 seems high. Has anyone shopped around? There must be better buys.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how many people submitted bids.... I like the lever but think we should shop seriously for a better price before we run out to spend money.
ReplyDelete